What & How: Marble
“NOTHING MOVES LIKE MARBLE.”
So what's marble and its characteristics
Marble is a high-end countertop and dining tabletop solution with a strong perceived value. Marble is a natural stone product and is known for its variation in color and veining patterns. Because marble is a natural stone, the look of the slab may vary. Marble is formed from the re-crystallization of limestone under intense pressure and high temperatures within the Earth. During this process, other minerals are introduced into the structure, which produces the beautiful colors and veining that characterize marble. Marble countertops and tabletops are not as hard as granite or quartz countertops and are much more porous with many natural veins and fissures.
Thus, Marble surfaces are more susceptible to staining by many liquids such as soy sauce, vinegar, wine, hairspray, ink etc. Any acidic or alkalic substance that may come in contact with your marble tops will cause a chemical reaction that will etch and remove the polish of the marble.
- Marble is a natural product that is more porous than granite and therefore, more susceptible to staining.
- Marble is a calcium-rich stone, porous and susceptible to stain. It contains inherent weak spots, hairline cracks and fissures.
- Marble comes with inherent crystal line, water line, Fissures. (A form of internal crack that has a mix of stone content and impurity)
- Marble has extrusions and pin holes & pits. (small visual cracks that are not defects in the marble slab, can be felt when touching)
- Marble can come with shade, veining, and pattern variances from one end of the slab to the other. (Even slabs from the same marble block, each one varies slightly)
- Marble loses shine with wear through years. (Can be re-polished at factory when necessary)
- Marble requires re-application of sealer. (Typically 2-3yrs depends on traffic)
How to take care of marble
Please take note all Stone products including marble and granite from Greyhammer are applied with sealant. The objective is to slow down and delay the staining process of any spillage on the marble table surface. It doesn't make marble table tops water/stain proof. All customers are encouraged to clean off the table after the meal.
Wiping down marble countertops and tabletops' surfaces with warm / room temperature water and a non-abrasive sponge or cloth is the best method for cleaning, but it will not remove etching or stains that have had time to permeate the marble surface(Usually 1-2hrs and longer).
- Use an absorbent half damped cloth with a mild solution of dish soap and water. (Mild series of Cif & Mama Lemon for example)
- All-purpose mild cleaning products diluted 1:1 with water.
- Stone Cleaner. (Local DIY shops available)
- All customers are encouraged to clean off in time after the meal and use water-tight placemat to reduce the possibilities of staining.
MARBLE PRODUCTS DO NOT HAVE A WARRANTY
All natural marble materials will have color and shade variations, no two slabs will be the same. Pits (Pin Holes) and fissure cracks are normal characteristics. At any part of a uniform looking color there may be a vein or spot or off-color markings of an undetermined size. These markings cannot be avoided when cutting and polishing.
GreyHammer uses a high-quality Solvent-Based Sealer(Better than water based) on all tops. Although this sealer is engineered to protect the stone, it does not guarantee against staining. Sealer only slow down and delay the staining process of any spillage on the marble table surface.
Honed marble (Matt Finish) is especially susceptible to acids and any spills should be immediately cleaned up.
Now you know all the tips on preserving and maintaining the impeccable condition of your marble table, find your own personal home style and select your marble table to help complete your space. Now it is time to personalize!
Greyhammer Furniture Architect offers customisable marble slab tables with granite, quartz and marble options. Available in square, rectangular and circular proportions, Greyhammer’s marble tables are made to fit every home.