LEATHER OR FABRIC SOFA: HOW TO CHOOSE AND MAINTAIN
Have you ever went sofa shopping at a furniture store in Singapore and been completely torn over which type of sofa to choose for your home? Know this – you’re not alone!
CHOOSING THE RIGHT SOFA
There are many factors to consider when it comes to choosing a sofa, from the design to the cost and maintenance. But the main point of contention for most people is the decision between choosing a fabric or leather sofa. Learn about the pros and cons of leather vs fabric sofas and figure out which type will suit you best with this helpful guide!
Fabric sofas come in a huge range of colours, textures and patterns, making it easy for you to find one that matches your interior decor and expresses your style.
- Generally, a softer material than leather, making it feel more comfortable especially in Singapore’s humid weather
- Less affected by humidity as compared to leather
- Almost impossible to scratch fabric sofas the way that leather sofas can be scratched, and you won’t find unsightly scratch marks on them
- Certain fabric sofas are outfitted with removable upholstery which makes cleaning easier, such as GREYHAMMER’s Prima and Maison Fabric sofa
- Not a great option for those suffering from allergies as the fabric will trap allergens such as pet dander and dust
- The colour of the fabric might fade over time, and exposure to the sun will cause uneven fading
- Absorbs moisture easily and liquid spills might cause stains, thus requiring professional cleaning if the upholstery can’t be removed
Care & Maintenance
- Vacuum and clean regularly
- Some fabric sofas are treated with a stain-resistant finish which prevents spills from seeping into the fabric easily and allows it to be easily cleaned
- Use either simple soap and water or purchase upholstery cleaner for a more thorough clean
- Yearly steam cleaning ensures its longevity
- Guard fabric sofas against stains using a stain protector spray
If you like a contemporary or modern look, leather sofas tend to appear sleeker, and more high-end and give off a certain elegance to a room that is hard to duplicate in most fabric sofas.
- Leather is less prone to discolourisation and maintains its consistency better than fabrics, such as the timeless, elegant designer sofa pictured above, which would be a perfect addition to any modern living room
- Full grain leather withstands spillages as it is not as absorbent as fabric
- More durable if cared for properly and can often last longer than an average fabric sofa
- Doesn’t harbour dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens as easily as fabric
- Not as comfortable as fabric sofas due to Singapore’s humid weather
- The leather will show signs of cracking if exposed to too much sun or after a period of usage
- Requires more maintenance and not as easy as to clean compared to fabric
Care & Maintenance
- Remove dust regularly with a soft cloth or a vacuum cleaner
- Leather pieces should not be positioned in direct sunlight or under intense sources of light or heat
- Apply a good leather conditioner every six to 12 months. This will help the leather maintain its own natural oils, keeping it supple for years
MAKING THE RIGHT INVESTMENT
It is important to invest in the right sofa as it is such an integral part of our homes, the place where we relax after a long day of work or where we spend quality time with family and friends. Assess your household’s needs and habits, and it’ll be easier for you to make the decision to find the right sofa that will last through the ages.
We carry a huge range of designer sofas in a variety of Water-resistant Belgium Fabric and Italian Full Grain leather, and they’re available for you to view right here in Singapore. Browse our impressive range of designer modern furniture here at Greyhammer and start bringing your living room to life!